Series: Upgrade: The Operating System by Pastor CJ What's up Southland!? Hope you are off to a great week! It's hard to capture just how great this past Sunday was, but it was off the hook!!! If you missed it, you HAVE to check out the podcast! But here's a quick preview or recap depending on which way you look at it.
The truth is, there are so many Christians that are living a life far below the full life God intends for His people. So often we fall short of the joy, peace, purpose, and fulfillment that God offers. But life can be different! We don't have to settle for less. We can upgrade our lives, our relationships, and our approach to God. The hard part though is that we can't figure out the cure until we find the cause. And in the case of a broken humanity, that cause is the Law.
Romans 4:13-17 shows us three truths about the law.
1. The Law Cripples Faith In the book of Hebrews, it says, "Without faith it's impossible to please God." However, the opposite is also true. Without faith it's impossible for God to please us. Faith is a two way street and the foundation of our relationship with our Heavenly Father.
2. The Law Cancels Promises The Law cancels the promises of God because it sends us on an impossible endeavor. There is not a single person in this world who can fulfill the requirements of the law. We can no more fulfill the law than we can fly.
3. The Law Condemns Sinners Condemnation is nothing new to you and I. But God doesn't want us to live under condemnation, He wants us to live out of security in Him; His love, generosity, and compassion.
Under the Law, there's really no hope because the law requires punishment. Our God is slow to anger but at some point He has to punish sin. Otherwise He would be an unjust God. The wrath of God has to be poured out. But the beauty of the gospel is that He sent Jesus to take our punishment. We can have freedom, forgiveness, and redemption through Jesus because Jesus took our sin and paid the price!
This changes everything. Life is turned upside down when we approach life out of this new reality! In Jesus, we win, we live, we have victory!
There are actually two bottom lines to this message.
1. God punishes the sin but preserves the sinner.
2. The gospel is about keeping in step (with the Holy Spirit) not keeping the law.
Again, if you haven't heard this message yet by Pastor CJ, and even if you did, I encourage you to check it out again!